PTP Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be licensed in order to sign-up and participate in a professional training program?
Yes. Our professional training programs are designed to be taken by licensed mental health professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, clinical social workers, mental health counselors). Graduate students who have permission from their professor or supervisor may also apply.
- Do I have to take the courses in order?
It is not required to take the courses in order. However, it is highly recommended for a fuller experience. We believe it is best to take them in order as the courses are constructed to build upon each other.
- If I took an Intro. course in the past, can I go into the Standard?
Yes, you can. However, the Intro. course has been revised and some people who have years of experience have found it helpful to take this course and then move on.
- Do my courses count for the ISSTD Certificate Program?
Yes, they all count towards the ISSTD Certificate Program.
- Can I get ISSTD Certificate Credit for PTP courses I've already taken?
Certificate credit is given for all PTP courses starting from 2012. 2012 was the year the courses were revised and the Certificate Program was started.
- What's the difference between online and in-person courses?
In-person courses usually meet every 2 to 4 weeks at a designated location. Students read the assigned materials between classes. Online courses are asynchronistic. Faculty and students post remarks and respond to each other whenever they are able to do so. Online groups do not meet in person; all of the work is done online.
- How do I find a course in my area?
Courses are listed under Upcoming Training Events on the ISSTD website.
- Do the courses earn Continuing Education credits?
Yes, all the courses qualify for CEU credits, which can be purchased in addition to the regular course fee.
- Do the courses earn Continuing Medical Education credits?
No, not at this time.
- How do I access the course materials?
Enrolled students may access course materials by logging into their course site, here.
- I just registered for a
course and received the confirmation email. Yet when I click on the link
to enter the course webpage it says I am not a member. Why?
Once you register it takes the system 48 hours to sync and "put you into the
course." Please be patient and try again in 48 hours. If it still isn't
working then contact email@example.com
- Do I need to purchase any course materials?
Some courses require participants to purchase readings. Please refer to the registration page for more information about required readings or contact the course faculty member.